Since yesterday afternoon, I've made quite a bit of progress on some of the shorter cues for ARTOIS THE GOAT. Don't let the short ones fool you though. They're still tough and to some degree tougher because they're so short. There's less time to do what needs to be done when compared to some of the longer cues. To make that perfect statement once and then get out...that's always a challenge. There's no time for meandering.
Getting these cues done (barring director approval of course) is helping a lot to firmly solidify the concept of the score in my mind. The main song featured at the end of the film is starting to take shape in the other cues. The instrumentation palette is getting fleshed out, streamlined, and set.
I'm jumping around right now trying to keep all the congruous cues intact. It's good for continuity but you have to keep a pulse on the overall big picture of the score when you break it up piecemeal like that. I don't want a string of cues working together but not with the entirety of the score.
The directors will be coming over tonight to hear these handful of cues. Plus, I've got a lyricist coming over tomorrow morning to talk with me about writing lyrics for the two tunes I've written for the film. He's fluent in French which is just what I am looking for.
Approximately seven weeks until deadline. I'm doing well but must keep this ball rolling...